Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Books of 2012

Do you remember my 4 goals challenge? I actually managed to read all the four books I wanted to read before the end of 2013. They were:

Brooklyn by Colm Toibin
A Little History of the World by E.H. Gombrich
Blogging for Creatives by Robin Houghton
Hearts and Minds by Amanda Craig

You can read my feedback on the first three books here. This is what I thought about Amanda Craig's 'Hearts and Minds':

Some books are so good you never want them to end and this was definitely one of those books for me. It tells the story of various people living in London: An Australian expat, a divorced Mum, an illegal immigrant, a young Ukrainian sex worker - not the kind of people who usually star in a story set in the glamorous British capital. In fact it's quite a dark account of what live in London can be like for the less fortunate and how immigration shapes modern day Britain. The book asks the question of what we owe each other and I liked that although dark, it has an optimistic ending.

I read quite a few more books over Christmas - my Mum works in printing, so our house in Germany is stacked with books. However, none of them was particularly spectacular. I did end 2012 with a bang though when I read The Hunger Games trilogy! Have you read the books or seen the film? I think they were tremendous!

These were my top 5 reads of 2012:

A Short History of the World
Brooklyn
The Help
The Hunger Games Trilogy
Winter's Bones

What were yours and what are you reading at the moment?

2 comments:

  1. I loved The Help! Two books that I just read (and adored) were Beautiful Ruins and The Paris Wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaime, thanks for your comment! 'The Paris Wife' sounds really interesting. I'm reading 'The Great Gatsby' from Fitzgerald at the moment, so I might read that book afterwards!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!
(Comments are moderated & will not appear until after approval).